March 15, 2011

Job vs. Call

I've recently been wrestling with God on some of the things that I have considered part of my calling. Areas of my life that I have for a few years have thought were what would define me and the ministry that God would entrust me with. However, I'm far from convinced that I had it all figured out at this point.

All of it got me thinking.

As I have pursued some of these new opportunities and have ventured out to discover new opportunities, there has been one thing rising to the top: I want to follow God's call in my life and not just go get a God job. I call it a "God job" because for all intensive purposes, working in the church can look like God was all over it. Yet, there seems to be a very obvious difference between the things that look like they are from God and the things that are ordained by God throughout Scripture.

The reality is, I'm just trying to follow the pillar of fire in my life and I don't want to stop somewhere along the path. I want to go to where ever that pillar stops.

"And the LORD went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead them along the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, that they might travel by day and by night. The pillar of cloud by day and the pillar of fire by night did not depart from before the people." - Exodus 13:21-22 (ESV)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great post! I think this is something that many people are wrestling with. A job at the church must be from God...that's what so many believe. I learned the hard way that isn't always the case. The term "God job" is so perfect!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It was confirmation to some things I have been addressing in prayer. A Blessing indeed!