January 19, 2011

I'm Not Buying It. (Don't Miss This!)



Oh this makes me sick to my stomach. It is so hard for me to have compassion in my heart when all I can see is destruction because of someone's complete and utter disregard for people; let alone the ones who pings God's heart.

Here are some things that I have found out about that you can take part in:

Go here and read up on what's going on. Then, go here and sign the petition on the right side of the page. Finally, inform others of what's going on in Dallas.

The reality is that the Super Bowl committee is probably not going to do anything about the reality that this atrocity exists in their area. That makes me sick to my stomach to think that people with that much influence and that much control won't stand up for the countless, defenseless children that are going to be trafficked there. But, if there is a national outcry to defend these children, perhaps we can make a difference.

Here's the rub that is rising up in my heart even as I type these things. The 100,000-300,000 people that are trafficked inside the borders of the United States is really only a drop in the bucket of the 27 MILLION that are trafficked around the world. The reality is that while it may exist in a country that has, for so long, stood up for those that are defenseless and proclaimed to the entire world that we are a free nation, there is a greater need around the globe. The fact that 27 million people find themselves in forced labor, prostitution, military participation, and many more is sickening to me. The reality that there are 10,000 girls that are trafficked across the Nepali-Indian border for the sole purpose of sex slavery is atrocious. That 32 billion dollars is generated from human trafficking worldwide (a Jan 2010 estimate) and is becoming the fastest-growing criminal activity in the world. The incredibly disparaging understanding that between 800,000 and 4 MILLION people are taken from their current realities every year is just mind-shattering.

I don't know about you, but it makes me sick. In our ministry, Derry has been a big proponent of keeping this on the forefront of our minds. And in all honesty, I knew it was terrible and should never happen to anybody. I guess I've never been moved by the issue. I've never allowed the realities of all it's ripple effects to penetrate my heart. And yet, I'm struck with this reality: Jesus would operate in Truth and Grace. As much as this makes me sick, there is a deeper issue that needs to be rectified beyond my personal disdain. God needs to be glorified in the redemption and freeing of these people. God, teach us how to react!

Join me. Let's do our part. We live in an information age. We live in a world that changes when people stand up and voice their opinion. Will you voice yours?

No comments: