December 6, 2010

60 Days of Beauty Project: Day 6

I'm usually one who looks way too far into things, makes specific stands on things that probably don't need stands, and draws a pretty heavy black line on the ground on things that don't necessarily need a line drawn. Theology is one of those things that I do all three of these. Maybe it's out of sheer discomfort of my own understanding of theological premises, but I tend to get pretty strong headed on some of these.

Last night, I was sitting in Dairy Queen with a couple friends and a topic came up that comes up from time to time in my circle of friends, because we like to talk about theology, that I thought I had a strong stance on. We made our points and I attempted to refute my friend's point to no avail. It brought me to a place of frustration and a bit of a loss. After recollecting my pride that was on the ground, I came to the conclusion that I don't always have to be able to justify my point when I don't always have to be making a point.

It was in that moment of humility that I realized how beautiful humility is and what it can do to free the soul. It's in the moments that we finally recognize that we don't have it all together, that we might have gotten it wrong, and that perhaps we need to reconsider our position in life that we truly see the beauty of Grace and Mercy.

GC

No comments: