September 11, 2011

A day I will never forget.

It seemed like it was going to be a regular September day.
We were taking ISTEP.
I was in Ken Dues' Woods Classroom.
And then an abrupt interruption with the instruction to turn on the television.
What I saw next was the start of a different time in America and an event that will forever live in my mind with the vividness of a Shakespearean sonnet.

September 11, 2001. A day to be remembered.

In a day and age that sees more finger-pointing than accepting responsibility, this day reminds me of a situation that required responsible action by our national leaders. It required men to be men and to step up when a nation needed information and for others to step up when a country needed its leader. A time when those who were elected to lead and those that were appointed to represent, were forced to their knees and humbled at the opportunity to be an example to those that put them in those positions of leadership.

This moment that was captured on the steps of our nation's Capitol, reminds me of what this country is, has, and will always be about when Americans step up and recognize the responsibility they have for the freedom they have been given.
It makes me reflect on the responsibility that we, as Christians, have in response to the freedom that we have been given. It pushes me to respond responsibly and with a devotion that only a Christian can employ; one that is worthy unto God and not unto men.

So today, I remember a day that continues to force me to reflect on those that paid a huge price to ensure that our freedom is continued to be a reality and not some ideological theory or some utopian notion.

No comments: