May 26, 2011

I want it all, cause I deserve it NOW

I'm at that age that requires a ton of discernment and wisdom as it concerns my calling/career. On one hand, all of my life, I have been told that I can do anything that I put my mind on and to continue to pursue success in my mind. And that is a very empowering notion that allows for someone to draw a ton of confidence on themselves and the things that they can accomplish. For many, this would most likely propel them to a good life, or at least the looks of one. Yet, there is another side of the coin.

See, that mentality produces this false sense of understanding and a hurried sense of accomplishment. While it does not negate a person's ability to accomplish a task or get a job done, it devalues "field experience" and its place in the development of a person and their field. It has the potential to foster a high level of arrogance and ignorance and leads me to believe that I want to have a different mindset when it comes to my abilities and strengths.

I've come to recognize a deep desire inside of me to find the best practice for some of the things that I'm trying to accomplish, especially when it comes to my work. I try my hardest to do certain things and I succeed with flying colors, both from my vantage point and from the perspective of others. In other situations, I put forth the same effort and come to find myself struggling to accomplish the task very well. But, the reality is, there are many times that my failures can point back to a lack of experience.


It is this "experience" that I have to constantly push my flesh back toward; to recognize that I deserve nothing. Respect, rapport, and reputation are all things that are earned; over time. These things do not appear out of thin air and definitely not just because you have done one good event or one good program. It takes time, it takes patience, and it takes a lot of conversations that drive you to the brink of frustration because you have heard about that mistake you made in the last 3 conversations that you have had this morning. As much as it sucks to hear it again and again, it's good for us.

For a generation that has never been told "No" enough times because they have been always told, "Yes." For the next few generations who will continue to have an air about them that tells the world, "We have the answers now." We must quickly come to the recognition that we need to be beat up a bit now. Better now than 15 years into our jobs. Better now when we have people around us who can help us figure it out than when we are on the top and have no clue.

No comments: