February 14, 2011

Time to Refresh

There have been many times that I have been told about the importance of refreshment and recharging. Last week, I was at a retreat that, if I was honest, as I was preparing to leave, was ready to back out of the thing because of the piles of work that seemed to be on my desk. However, I had committed to this new fellowship thing and I had given them my word that I would be there, so I was forced to attend. However, the lessons that I learned from the experience of taking a retreat were invaluable.

How often have we been told to take time off and to stop the hustle and bustle of life and then never do anything about that? Or, while we are on one of those retreats or vacations we are struck with the reality that we still have the commitments that we had when we left and it is all way too overwhelming.

Well, I can't tell you how rewarding it is to simply take the time to refresh and sleep, write, listen to music, read, run, walk, watch a movie, talk with someone new, talk with someone old, share in some special moments, clean, cook, eat good food, eat junk food, or just relax.

Take some time today or this week to plan your next chance to relax and recharge. Just find a date and mark it. The hardest part is getting there. Make the commitment to yourself.

GC

No comments: