September 30, 2010

Parents Scare Me to Death

Ok, so not my parents. But I guess that really depends on the day... And the time of the month (That could sound very biased toward my mom, but my dad's an accountant so the end of the month is just about as bad as "that time of the month" sometimes). But seriously, parents can scare the crap out of me.

What's the worst, is getting a phone call from a parent who is having issues with their student/kid. Especially when that kid is doing some numbskull activity or trying to ruin their life. It gets doubly difficult to manage because you want to affirm parents and help them through this situation. Needless to say, I'm a 24 year-old punk with no kids (not even a dog) and no experience of parenting (unless you count the one time I ran down that infant in Haiti).

Take a phone call I took recently. I pick up the phone and have the parent explain to me what is going on. All the while, I'm looking for times to affirm them in what they are doing. Of course, in the back of my mind all I can think about is that this person is my mom's contemporary and anything I say will be coming from a desperate attempt to gain their trust and hope that I can be taken seriously.

Then, because I'm either a zealous youth pastor or a foolish youth intern (depends on how it goes over), I offer some tips out of my own experience to help with the situation. That in itself is a pretty good joke, but we roll with it and finish the call with me telling said parent that they are doing ok and that this is just a "stage."

The reality is, Satan still holds a pretty big stronghold in this area of my life. I'm working to claim it and recognize God's victory and providence in that area of my life. But, there is still a level to which I am freaked out every time I pick up a phone call from you parents. Why? Because you have the potential to be that kid's biggest influence and God has put you in position to help keep your kids on God's path and the last thing I want to do is commandeer that portion of your kids' life.

The fact is, God has equipped you with everything to guide your kids' lives. I believe that I'm here as a tool for you in those times of uncertainty and a need for a different voice. It is my prayer that you will continue to step up and be a force for good in your kids' lives. So, stop calling me and believe in yourself.

Just kidding.

But seriously.

GC

2 comments:

mindi jo said...

Uh, yeah. I am a parent of toddlers... and I still get scared when parents call me at school. So, I don't know that it changes when you have kids :)

Anonymous said...

They scare me to death too. The scary thing is most of the teens I meet are a lot wiser and believe God a whole lot more than their parents do... and the problems they see in their kids are a big fat mirror of themselves... but that isn't popular, can you imagine the letters and phone calls if people started being honest? "Dear youth pastor, please help me! my kids are acting like me & I don't know how to change myself!"..... You're doing a great job Geoff..... keep up the good work!

Sandi Krakowski :)