August 31, 2010

What is Jesus to You?

A couple of weeks ago, Kenny McIntyre, a fantastic guy with a great big heart for students, shared in our AWAKE service about his life and some of the things that he's working through. Kenny challenged us through his story to recognize Who is Jesus to us; What role does Jesus play in our lives?

I read this passage:

For in this hope we were saved. But hope that is seen is no hope at all. Who hopes for what he already has? - Romans 8:23
It's crazy to me and yet still a struggle for me is the need to "feel" blessed by what God can provide for me. I have recently moved from needing "things" to just needing "signs" and "feelings" that God's presence was around. But really, is that what I want? Do I really want everything that God is encapsulated into one moment or being?

God is so much more than just a "good feeling" or a moment of joy.
God is so much more than a new car or a girlfriend.
God is so much more than ________________.

Got me thinking about who Jesus is in my life. I can say that He is everything, but is He truly everything? I mean come on. Do I really think that God is going to provide the lasagna from Fazoli's that I really want right now? Do I really think that God is going to usher a very nice female figure into my life right now? See both of these things can display God's power and maybe at some point, Jesus, through His Spirit will bless me with these things. But, there comes a point at which I want the blessings of Jesus more than I want Jesus.

What about you? If you were truly honest with yourself, what things do you want God to bless you with and you would be content? Is Jesus truly The Blessing? The Hope? The Reward?

GC

No comments: