May 4, 2010

Hunger: Do we have the Hunger?

This is a Josh Griffin-like repost of former student, Austin Hostetter's latest blog post. I found it quite convicting and very good. You should give it a looksy! Here's a snippet:


Hunger from Nuru International on Vimeo.


These statistics in this video hit me like a rock.  Lately, I've been growing more and more uneasy about what our role as Americans should be in this world.

We are the most blessed nation in the world.  I hear this statement used all the time.  Patriotism is fueled by the idea that God has blessed this great country of ours, yet I'm starting to not buy these claims.

To whom much has been given, much is expected.  That is the thought that keeps racing through my head.  If we are a blessed nation, why are we hogging all of the blessing for ourselves?  Why are living such bloated, cushioned lives while the rest of the world is in pain?  If we have the means to fight global poverty (and we as Americans certainly do), why are we just sitting here?  Would it really be so difficult to give up a bit to impact another community around the globe?

What if Americans answered the call of those crying out for help?  As a nation who has more wealth than we know what to do with, we can seriously make a dent in extreme poverty and could even possibly end it if we tired hard enough.  We have the resources, yet do we desire to see it accomplished?  That's what concerns me.


Got me thinking about a number of things and a number of people.You can read the rest of it here.

GC

No comments: