April 16, 2009

Responses to DB - A Blog Series - Sex and the Rest of Your Life

This is such a hot topic and not just because DB talked about it in a class. This is a hot topic because, one could easily argue, our society is so far rooted in the idea that sex is good and sex is for everyone and sex SEX SEX SEX!It's everywhere we turn. Even Christian magazines use it as a way to attract students to pick up their magazine. Obviously, it is not as central as some secular magazines, however the subtleties are apparent to someone like me who pays attention to cultural norms.

This is also a hot topic, BECAUSE I'M A MAN. I have personally heard more sermons on lust and the effects it has on the mind and body be directed toward the men in the room, implying that the problem is huge in men. I know that the discussion happens in the female realm also, however this is exponentially higher for me. Sex is such a holy act. To say that this is simply a avenue of pleasure for two individuals is atrocious. I read a Bible that tells me the union of one man and one woman is the union into a one flesh being. The physical act of sex is a gift that is only to be enjoyed inside the bounds of marriage. This idea is very easy for me to grasp.

What is not easy to control or understand is how to stay away from the problem of looking at a woman lustfully and committing adultery in my heart. I have had many issues with this problem and it has remained just as persistent in my mind for the majority of my life. However, my understanding of how God created me and the true meaning of lust has given me some clarity and, perhaps some grace on how I look into the topic has allowed me some freedom from this bondage that is created through lust.

What is the actually act of lust. To me it seems that because I am a man, my body is geared to seek and find what pleases it and the eyes are included in that definition of body. For me, lust is the act of seeing what your eyes are focused on and not averting yourself. The temptation is present to begin to process that female in my mind, however it is the act that is lust. Because of this I was able to realize that perhaps I can live with this; this desire to look at women. Or at least see that God can help me control my thoughts. My mind has been tainted by sin and my body is directed by that sinful mind. However, when I realize that my thoughts can be changed by my heart and are changed by my heart, I can realize that if I remain true to my heart, I can be free from lustful thoughts. I may never be able to stop myself from noticing a hot looking babe walking down the beach in a two-piece bikini, but I can see that and have a different thought pattern that takes me away from sin and toward holiness in this regard.

No comments: