May 6, 2011

Who do you think you are?

(This post could come off as very prideful and arrogant. Do yourself a favor and give me some grace so that you can understand my point.)

I am passionate about High Schoolers.
I am passionate about College Students.
I am passionate about Worship.
I am passionate about Sports.
I am passionate about the Church.

I am gifted as a Preacher.
I am gifted as an Administrator.
I am gifted as a Developer.
I am gifted as an Announcer.
I am gifted as a Youth Worker.

I wanted to be a big name Preacher.
I wanted to start a huge Church.
I wanted to be a Professional Announcer.
I wanted to lead a Symphony.
I wanted to be a Writer.

But who do I think I am?

Who am I to think that everything that I thought I was supposed to do is exactly what I should be doing?
Who am I to think that my thoughts about my life are His thoughts?
Who am I to think that His ways of utilizing those gifts and abilities are exactly like my ways?

Sure, I could try and pursue all of those things and feel like I'm doing everything that I am supposed to be. Or, I could do what He has intended for me to do and do all of that much better.

If you have multiple passions, multiple gifts and have a pulse, you probably have thought that you could do it all, at the same time and do it all well. But who do you think you are?

Sometimes, we need to come to the recognition that by trying to do everything with excellence, we end up doing nothing with excellence. And most likely that frustrates us or those that we are leading and ends up doing exactly what we don't want it to do.

So, who do you think you are?