May 15, 2011

Dear Zealous Sports Parent

Dear Zealous Sports Parent,

I love you. I really do. I mean when it comes down to it. I'm really on your side. I want your kid to get a scholarship and an education. I even think that he/she has a future.

But, here's the deal. You are at least 60 feet away from the plate (I measured), at a terrible angle from the play (I went and sat in your seat), and haven't read the rule book this year (I took a course on it).

Furthermore, it's my job to call things as I see they should be called, put myself in position to make accurate calls, and work with coaches to help players learn the lessons that each game teaches. Your job is quite simple: Support your kids. That's it. Not support me (I have enough support in the check I get each time). Not critique me (That's part of the coaches job). Not to make sure that I know: "To be consistent (I don't know anybody who tries to be inconsistent)" or "Both Ways (I am calling it both ways)!" or my personal favorite "I got two Ho-Ho's and a Zebra Cake you change that call (Thanks, but I already ate)." To the parent who decided to use that last one on Saturday, I could say so much.

The reality is, if you're not going to support your kid, and I mean support your kid, then don't come to the games. You aren't helping anyone be successful, you're not improving anybody's life and you really frustrate me. We can get the game done without you and probably better without you.

Sincerely,
Your Friendly Umpire

2 comments:

Benjamin Knisely said...

After officiating several youth league basketball games where the parents are on top of you and often times within inches reach it is even worse and even harder to hold your tongue. The number one thing I see with this is the example they set. The kids see and hear all of it and these parents are setting horrible examples of what a role model should be. Well said...and I couldn't agree with you more. They also act like each game and each call, etc is deciding if their kid goes pro and makes the family the big bucks and its like the championship game. I have great stories of California parents let me tell ya :)

Geoff Cocanower said...

Dude. I can't even imagine. You make a good point with the line, "The also act like each game and each call, etc is deciding if their kid goes pro and makes the family the big bucks and its like the championship game." This perspective is so selfish and brings the focus away from educating kids.

Totally right about the example it sets to kids. Probably why I took to being just as ridiculous in high school and college games.