August 28, 2009

Secrets, Secrets

So, last night, I was in a very interesting discussion with my neighbors about what is ok when utilizing Twitter, Facebook, Myspace to portray our relationship with Jesus. I must say, I got quite heated. They didn't. But I did. Typical situation most times when getting into discussions about "Christian topics."

Anyway, the topic of discussion was about how much is too much when sharing your walk with Jesus on the Internet. I think that we were all in agreement of the discussion, but I felt that I needed to get it out of my system and write a post on the topic. Mainly, because I think that it is something that happens often, and I was affirmed by the guest post on the Stuff Christians Like blog. But, let me preface my comments by saying that, I, in no way, have perfected, mastered, or even achieved the rank of sensei on this topic and am pretty sure that I probably will always toe the line between what's ok and not ok due to my use of Twitter, Facebook, and this blog.

I believe that Jesus addresses this topic pretty clearly in Luke 18 with the parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector. Now, in no way am I trying to say that Person A or B is a Pharisee or a Tax Collector, however, there is a principle that can be taken from this parable when it comes to Twitter and Facebook. And the hypocritical problem here is that I think that I am guilty of the offense myself. When it comes to our prayer lives and our deepest revelations from God, we are called to keep those things private, to an extent.

It is my feeling that there are some things that you share, and some things that are meant to be kept in a private setting like a journal, personal notes, or even something that only you and God can see. The problem with sharing everything under the sun seems to me to promote a mask of some sort or the opportunity to put out a facade for people to see. The same is true with this blog thing. If all I am doing is telling about what God is doing with my prayer life and putting it out on the Internet, for all people to see, it seems that the point is so that people can see me. It doesn't bring glory to God by doing that. There is no humility in that. There is a sense of pride and personal self-centeredness. And that is the point of the parable.

The Pharisee keeps looking at himself, comparing himself to others and lifting himself up. Jesus further comments on the topic in the Sermon on the Mount in Matthew 6. "...Do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men." it seems to me that the current synagogues are Twitter and Facebook. The passage continues further. "I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret will reward you." The point of this part, seems to be stressing the need to look for a reward that is POST-world and in the Kingdom of Heaven. Jesus never said, look to tomorrow cause it is going to bring you more glory and you will be lifted up. He says, look to the day of my return. Yes, He is coming soon. But look to His coming as the reward to all who follow Him.

Through this whole thing, I am convinced that the reason for these type of posts (mine, as well as others) is for personal gain; pride. Because of this, we are not looking to a reward that comes on this earth and not for the reward that is Jesus; which is a post-world reward. Yes, Jesus shows us HIS glory through our prayer life, but it is something that is meant to be between Him and I. Confirm things through His Word and through His People that we trust, but don't use our prayer lives to promote our own glory and our own "spirituality."

This is not something that I am quick to understand nor have I mastered it. But it is something that I am working on and I feel, after the recent conversation that I have had, it is something that we all can address.

No comments: